- Organize health screening programs for soon to be released and serving inmates and provide drugs and health facilities to them.
- Organize regular counseling for soon to be released and serving inmates.
- Help release poor prisoners via legal representation or by repaying their debts.
- Facilitate the release of police detainees who are unjustly detained in police stations.
- Create an institutional framework for providing skills, craft and vocational training and rehabilitation opportunities for the inmates and ex-inmates.
- Reintegrate the ex-inmates with their families.
- Monitor the ex-inmates to ensure total recovery that will lead to abstinence from crime.
- Provide institutional frameworks to help offer psychological and social support for women and underaged prisoners.
- Collaborate with media outfits and other organizations for awareness against ex-inmate stigmatization.
- Organize programs for general well-being of inmates and ex-prisoners.
- Engage in collaborations that will lead to total overhaul of our criminal justice system.
Who We Are
Breath of Freedom Foundation is a Non-Governmental group promoting inmate and detainee release and rehabilitation through reforms, skills trainings and capacity building, medical outreach, human right monitoring, care and support services.
Problem we want to address
Studies show that 70 percent of prison inmates in Nigeria are awaiting trial, half of which are under 30. Some of these persons are on remand without release time, and so many other similar cases.
Breath of Freedom Foundation is a result oriented, goal driven body, delivering measurable impacts in the prisons across the FCT and beyond. We have a projection of releasing 5 prisoners monthly, with upwards trajectory in the number as we secure more collaborations and partnerships. Our total aim is to reach a point we secure release of hundreds of prisoners monthly and offer them means of livelihood.
Our approach can be broken down into the following points:
These include: Nature of offence, behavior of inmate, show of remorse and interest for change, skill development interests, and availability of inmate relative to receive inmate upon release and more.
Our reach currently covers police stations and prisons within the FCT and environs. The bigger picture is to extend to other prisons across Nigeria.
We cannot succeed in what we do, without synergy from partners, collaborators and sponsors like you. Currently, our funds are sourced from our contributions as members, and that is why we seek your support and contributions made through grants and other forms of donations. This will enable us reach out to more inmates.
There are many ways you can get involved both as an organization and as individual. Getting involved include: one-off or regular donations, philanthropy, fundraise for us, participate in our projects, volunteer with us, offer your skills and time, follow up on an ex-inmate, or even share our works across social media platforms to create more awareness about what we do. We would love to hear from you.
Become A Volunteer
Give a helping hand to those who need it.